Maybe I’m just cynical because it seems like there are so, so many of them being made (and I myself am guilty of it).
Here’s the “plot” setup of almost every single one:
- Start in an empty room, with a faint droning hum in the background.
- A perfect sphere is introduced, using floating up on it’s own power. It’s shiny.
- If it isn’t already, it begins floating at this point, and wavering a little bit.
- It demonstrates pseudo ferro fluid properties using texture bumps.
- It turns into a liquid at some point.
- It returns to the sphere and then shatters.
- Fade out.
I mean, it’s a good 3D demo and I encourage every animator to try it, but please, don’t try to make it anything more than it is. It’s not a magical, spiritual journey with this phase shifting sphere. It’s not a metaphor for the human psyche.
Don’t get me wrong, they’re usually gorgeously rendered and well done. I just don’t understand why people attach extra significance that doesn’t / shouldn’t exist.
Look! More awesome posts: